Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Bird in the Hand

A resident of Ramat Bet Shemesh called me to say that a strange bird had entered their apartment and was unable to fly. They had been informed that I was the go-to person about such an event. When they told me that it had a curved beak, I promised to come right away.

It's a female kestrel, the most common type of falcon in Israel. It seems to have a broken wing, so I'm going to take her to the veterinary clinic at the Jerusalem Zoo. The Head of Animal Management at the Nature Authority told me that if it makes a full recovery, it will be released, but otherwise, I will be able to keep it. Today, it happily ate a hamster.



Soon, I will be publishing an article about medieval Jewish falconry.

4 comments:

Zohar said...

He looks a lot more manageable on the hand than that eagle!

Chanokh Tyler Berenson said...

The IDF blog reminded me of you!

http://www.idfblog.com/2012/12/29/13-idf-aircraft-oddly-similar-to-animals-theyre-named-after/

Aryeh Shore said...

ואותן היהודים הצדין בעוף שקורין אישפרוי"ר אין להם לקשור החבל שהעוף נקשר בו בתפוס מן האוכך מן הסוס לפי שהן כלאים.
orhot chaim

What else can you find on medieval jewish falcontry.

Rabbi Dr. Natan Slifkin said...

Lots! Check out my forthcoming article in Jewish Action, and Leor Jacobi's forthcoming full-depth study (he already has some material online).